* Long before this artist made his name as a mighty crossbow hunter, there was this heavy Detroit band in which he was content to play lead guitar, something he did very well and with much less threat to the Midwest's deer population. We'll enjoy this band's most famous track from 1968 this evening. Name the artist, the band and extra credit for the name of the song...
*This band was the best English band never to hit it big in America. Outside Europe, all anybody remembers them for is their one big hit, that we'll play later this evening. That hit was hardly representative of their psychedelic sound, much less their full musical range, but in England, the band was one of the most successful bands of the mid-60's, serious competitors to The Who and potential rivals to The Rolling Stones. Name the band and extra credit for the name of their big hit...
*This 1965 hit song by this British band was inspired by a 1955 gospel song by The Staple Singers. The Staples version had a real uplifting message and was quite spiritual, but the new version by this band changed the meaning of the song, making it into a stern message to a girl. Many gospel fans felt the song was ripped off and that The Staple Singers should have received royalties, but that never happened. The band oftentimes has success reworking songs by black artists into hits. Name the band and extra credit for the name of the track...
*This artist released an album in 1975 that did not fare well, so his next album was quite successful by comparison. The album of pop/rock songs brought the artist's usual rhythmic folk-rock into contemporary style with the Muscle Shoals rhythm section and snapply production that included lots of synthesizers. The album, as a whole, explored the artist;s ambivalence about being in the music business, an attitude that would find him dropping out and finding religion after one more album. We'll enjoy a track from it which produced a final Top 40 hit for the artist. Name the artist...
BATTLE OF THE BANDS
Get Back by The Beatles vs God Only Knows by The Beach Boys
1. Ted Nugent, The Amboy Dukes, Journey To The Center Of The Mind
2. Small Faces, Ithcycoo Park
3. Rolling Stones, The Last Time
4. Cat Stevens (Old Schoolyard)
Listeners picked The Beach Boys by a 51% margin
Leave a Reply.