* This artist has been a part of a few bands starting in the 60's, while also enjoying a bit of a solo career. A great guitarist who first gained true notoriety with this band in 1966, a power trio, gave us a few studio albums prior to the frontman leaving for other musical ventures. The band was known for a combination of funk, hard rock and even some elements of soul in their mix. The artist left the band and the area after the band released their third album in 1971. Name the artist and the band he left...
*This great artist was frustrated by dissension with his band and dissatisfied with his own performance on their latest studio album, so he decided to record his first-ever solo record in 1989. The album would go on to become his greatest commercial success. He would go on to use certain members of his band in his solo albums, but not all of them, furthering the tension. The group's drummer in particular, was most disruptive and was excluded from participation on the first 2 solo albums...soon after the 2nd album...he was dismissed from the band. Name the artist...his band and extra credit for the name of his most successful solo album...
*We'll play a song that was written by one of the band's singers and guitarist as he was in a cab on the way to Heathrow airport. He just wrote down what he saw and how he felt as they wormed in and out of traffic. He did not end up singing lead on this track as an artist who sang with both the band 'Ace" and 'Mike And The Mechanics' handled the vocals. The singer actually joined the band for this album, replacing a guy by the name of Jools Holland on keyboards.
The song we'll play from the 1981 album was produced by Elvis Costello. Name the band, the artist who sang the lead vocals and the song....the band's biggest hit...
*Before this group was formed, this band's guitarist and lead singer wrote this particular track. The song is about a truck driver in the American Southwest who makes some extra cash smuggling cigarettes and transporting illegals across the border from Mexico. When the band recorded this track, the songwriter and Ry Cooder do some dueling slide guitar together. Cooder was working on his very first album in the same studio where this band was recording theirs.
Name the band, the guitarist and lead singer and extra credit for the name of the song.....
Battle Of The Bands!
Let’s Dance by David Bowie vs Hello It’s Me by Todd Rundgren
1. Joe Walsh, The James Gang
2. Tom Petty, The Heartbreakers, Full Moon Fever (Stan Lynch was the drummer)
3. Squeeze, Paul Carrack, Tempted
4. Little Feat, Lowell George, Willin’
Todd Rundgren was the winner with 52% of the votes